To get into Upavistha Konasana:
- Start in Dandasana (stick pose), seated with a straight spine and legs stretched out in front of you.
- Open your legs to approximately a 90 degree angle. Place your hands on the floor behind you and press your buttocks forward to widen your legs a touch further.
- Contract your thighs and push out through the balls of your feet.
- Make sure that your knees are facing upward toward the ceiling at all times throughout the pose.
- Lengthen your spine, up through the crown of your head. Then with a straight long spine bend forward at the hips, walking your hands forward between your legs.
- With every exhalation, deepen your stretch microscopically until you feel a comfortable stretch in your inner hamstrings and the backs of your legs.
- If you can, bring your sternum (breast bone) parallel to the floor but just hovering over it, grab onto your big toes with your index and middle finger, or grab the outsides of your feet with both hands while engaging the abs, thighs and continuing to press out through the balls of your feet.